Give It To God - Scriptures, Meaning, Work Life Examples, Playlist
We here at FGCC often say just "Give it to God" or just "Give it to Jesus"
Within this article we want to explore these phrases a little bit more and provide a few practical examples all relating to working in Corporate America.
Before we get into the main topic of conversation, let's pray.
PRAYER - Give It To God
"Heavenly Father, I give you thanks for all that you are and all that you do. I pray for the readers and viewers of this blog. I pray for those whose path has led them across this article. God only you and they know what they are experiencing at the present time in their life. I pray that you draw them closer to you and help them to learn your Word and guide them to abide in your ways. I pray that you guard their hearts and renew their minds and personally teach them what it means to "Give It To God."
You word says to seek ye first the kingdom of God. I pray for those who don't know You that they are able to get to know You and those who do know You are drawn even closer to You. I pray for those who are in the midst of practicing evil, wrongdoing and utter foolishness that they are able to turn from their wicked ways and be released from the hand and power of the enemy.
I pray that everyone is able to get to a place of total reliance on you. Reliance for discernment. Reliance for knowledge. Reliance for wisdom. Reliance for strength. Reliance for power. Reliance for peace. Reliance for right behavior and the ability to choose from doing wrong to doing right. Reliance for choice and decision making in all areas of their lives. Total dependence and complete reliance on you.
I pray that you give everyone the desire to study your Word for themselves and to abide in your will. I pray that you teach them to truly seek ye first the kingdom of God. I pray that you cleanse their heart and allow their minds to truly desire to seek You and get to know You for themselves.
I pray that You teach them that the battle belongs to You. I pray that You teach them to seek your council for everything. I pray that You teach them to have patience and self control and to wait on your discernment before impulsively responding to or reacting to any and everythang.
I pray that You teach them that in this life there will be trouble but You are able to sustain them through it all. When they are lost, confused, worried, suffering, experiencing sickness or illness, dealing with a jobless, having problems at work, having issues at home, are concerned relationally that they can bring it all to You and that You will work it all out.
Heavenly Father, Almighty God, I give these requests to you. I believe and declare in Jesus mighty name, I pray, Amen."
SCRIPTURES - Give It To God
To help you understand the principles behind freely giving "it" to God where "it" is whatever you need it to be, let's start by referencing a few key scriptures all per the ESV
- Philippians 4:6-7 states "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
- Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
- Philippians 4:19 "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
- 1 Peter 5:6-7 states "Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you."
- Psalm 55:22 "Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved."
- Isaiah 41:10 "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."
- Matthew 11:29 "Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."
- John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."
- Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Deuteronomy 8:18 "You shall remember the Lord your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day."
- John 16:33 "I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
- James 4:7 "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."
- 2 Corinthians 1:10 "He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again."
and per the NIV let's note the following scripture
- Exodus 14:13-14 "Moses answered the people 'Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the Lord will bring you today. The Egyptians you see today you will never see again. The Lord will fight for you; you need only be still."
MEANING - Give It To God
So what is the meaning of just "Give it to God?" What do people meaning when they say "I'm giving it to Jesus" or when they say "I'm gonna let God handle it" or "God got it?"
For me, and this is only for me now, I realize others may have different interpretations, when I tell someone to "Give It To God" first and foremost I'm telling them to go to the Lord in prayer. I'm also saying
- "Girl/ Boy, go get on your knees and humbly let God know that you need Him. That you need His help. That you need His guidance. That you need His strength. That you need His wisdom. That you need His discernment. That you need His blessings. That you need His connections. That you need His safekeeping. That you need His love. That you need His protection. That you need His guidance. That you need His mighty arms to comfort you. That you need Him to hold you hand. That you need Him to get through the day. That you need Him to show you and let you know that it will all be alright and that it will all work together for your good and His glory in the end. That you need His intervention. That you need Him to work it out for your good. So give it to God my loves"
- "Girl/ Boy, if you don't stop worrying and stressing about that situation and let God handle it for you. You know good and well He can work it out for you in the end. So give it to God my loves"
- "Ain't no need to worry. Ain't no need to stress. Ain't no need to be anxious about it. Ain't no need to believe that God will not help you and take care of you. So Give it to God my loves"
- "God has helped you before. He has brought you a mighty long way. He has given you food on the table and a roof over your head. He has given you job after job. He has given you friends. He has given you a loving family or friends who serve as family. He has kept you in your right mind. He has kept your money right and your body tight. He has delivered you from your enemies and guided you around and over every trap set by your foes. He has kept Satan from devouring you. He has allowed you to grow and to experience His promises. He has made you into the man or woman that you are today. He has allowed you to finish school. He has allowed you to become a subject matter expert in your field. He has brought people along your path to help you time and time again. He has healed you from sickness, stress, worry, anxiety, pain. He has freed you from the power of sin. So if our God has done all this for you before, why you don't think He won't do it again? So I'm saying give it God my loves."
- "God is your provider, your healer, your comforter, your strength, your peace, your source of joy, your reason for living, your wealth of wisdom, your knowledge base, your way maker, your Heavenly Father, your mother when you're motherless, your father when you're fatherless, your very best friend. He is Alpha and Omega. He is the beginning and the end. We work unto Him. So if God is all that and then some, please be able to rely on Him. Give it to God my loves.
- "If you don't release all that fear, anxiety and worry and let God sustain you, and order your steps, I don't know what else to do. Girl, boy, my loves you betta give it to God.
- "What you worried for? Why ya acting all surprised? God said there will be trouble. He said you will have problems, you'll experience trials and have tribulations. Unfair situations will not might but will come. It's all a part of life. My loves, you need to give it to God and chill out."
PROCESS - Give It To God
So when you give it to God you need to go to Him in prayer. But what else. Let's discuss some steps that I generally try and take and other believers can state in the comments below how they go about giving it to God. There is no formula as each relationship with God is personal so I'm sure their processes may differ slightly from mine
- Recognize that there is an issue or problem that I can not handle all on my own and that I need God
- Go to God in prayer
- In prayer I ask God for help with the situation
- In prayer I ask God for the ability to not try and resolve the situation on my own
- In prayer I ask God for His discernment for my involvement in resolving the situation or making it through the situation. At this point I'm seeking whether or not I should do absolutely nothing and just be still or if I need to have a godly confrontation with other parties involved about a matter or how I should be involved in working towards some sort of resolution or solution for the problem or situation if at all. I'm asking God if He wants me to sit on the bench or sidelines for this matter or if He will pass me the ball so to speak and allow me to get involved.
- In prayer I ask God for patience, wisdom, protection, guidance, peace
- In prayer I am asking God for the means to get "it" done
- In prayer if it is a situation where I'm making a choice between several options I ask God for extreme clarity in how to proceed
- In prayer if it is a situation where I need God's protection from the destructive efforts of my enemies, I ask Him for just that. I ask for protection and decree and declare their efforts be made null and void.
- In prayer if it is a situation where I feel like I am being attacked, spiritually attacked that is, manifesting itself in all sorts of human ugliness, I put on the full Armor of God and pray accordingly
- In prayer I release everything (feelings, emotions, desires, persons, circumstances, actions, deeds) that is preventing me from giving it to God
- In prayer I ask God to help me to keep from ever picking the situation back up again from Him and trying to take it on, on my own
- In prayer I ask God to allow me to stay strong or to provide strength in my time of weakness
- In prayer I ask God to renew my mind, guard my heart and to keep my mind on Him
- In prayer I let it be know that I am seeking refuge in Him
- In prayer I thank Him for all that he has done and is doing and believe and declare that He will do it
- In prayer I speak the word of God and remind Him of the promises that He made in His word to work it out for me, to fight the battle for me, to protect me from my enemies, to take care of me, to heal me, to help me, to vindicate me, to restore me, to guide me, to make a way out of no way
- In prayer I ask in the name of Jesus that its true that God got it
Look, we are all human and Satan wants nothing more than for us to live defeated and turned away from God. So after your initial prayer or quest to give it to God you may be tempted to take "it" right on back especially if God isn't moving as fast as you would like or has offered a solution different that what you wanted. But don't do it. Don't take it back. Don't take the bait.
When I find or catch myself trying to take "it" back from God, I simply apologize to God and re-ask Him to handle "it" for me and re-give "it" to Him.
So when I say give "it" to God, I'm literally praying to God to take "it" from me and help me to fix, resolve, release, restore, handle and problem solve "it" for me as well as to give me a means to get through it. I'm releasing all feelings, emotions, desires, will to take care of it by myself. I'm cognizant of my heart and mind and if I catch myself trying to take care of it by myself, I go back to God with it.
EXAMPLES - Give It To God
So my loves, if you have any examples where you gave it to God and want to share, either submit your story using our testimony form to share it to all others who view our site or you can quickly share your story to the readers of this particular article using the comments below.
Let's discuss a few examples, that I have. I'll try to pull from a few different areas in my work life history.
Example 1 - Quitting A Job Without Another Job
Many years ago, I was in a job that was going nowhere. I wanted to leave but was having extreme difficulty taking time off to interview for a job. I went to God in prayer and asked Him for a new job. I asked Him for wisdom and discernment for finding a new job. I asked Him how could I go about finding a new job when it was so hard to get time off from that job. Shortly after praying and going to Him about the situation, I had a strong sense of peace to give my notice. I quit. I went in to full time job search mode. People, that I had previously worked with were calling me to come interview at their jobs. I got interview request after interview request. I ended up with 2 job offers and started a new job within 2 months from the day I quit.
Example 2 - Finding A Job
I experienced a bout of unemployment after relocating to a new area. I couldn't find a job to save my life. I would make it all the way to the final stage of each and every interview and would not get the job. It was devastating time and time again. I'm a winner so I couldn't understand why I wasn't winning. I started feeling like a loser. It's tough to maintain a winner mentality when you are losing.
So for the longest time during this job search, I didn't truly include God in the equation. I might say "God let this interview go well" or "God let them call in for an interview from my application" or "God let the right people see and value my experiences" but I wasn't having full drawn out head at his feet type of prayers.
As the story goes, I just applied, interviewed, got rejected, and repeated the cycle. Over and over again. I just couldn't win. I was stubbornly going after a new job and thought to myself it's just the law of numbers. Something will open up soon enough. And nothing was opening up. At all.
One day, I finally did what I'm telling you to do. I gave it to God. I prayed like I ain't never prayed before. I had others praying for me. I fasted. I prayed. I pleaded. I declared. I decreed. I asked God why have you forsaken me. Lord why you gave me all this education, experience, talent, skills, looks, personality and not a pot to piss in. I couldn't make sense of why nobody wanted me.
I read and reminded Him of his word. I quoted scriptures. I quoted song lyrics. I cried. Good and funky ugly cries. And ultimately, I stood in faith and truly gave it to God.
After I prayed and cried, cried and prayed, asking God to take it from me, I felt like my soul, my entire bein had been restored. I felt a cleansing. I felt a refreshing. I felt like all the hurt, pain, rejection, defeat, doubt, insecurity, had all been washed away in an instant.
I immediately stopped worrying about it. I immediately stopped crying about it. I immediately started to see favor in my situation. Within a month and half to two months from the time that I feel on my face and gave it to God, I had the highest paying, highest ranking, job that I had had in my career up until that point.
Example 3 - Executives Plotting to Get Me Fired
I was in a horrible work situation for 3 years. Toxic to the core. I truly feel like Satan put a veil over my eyes during the interview process. Bullying, harassment, stalking, spying, plotting, mobbing, disrespect, were all tolerated and encouraged up to the most senior level executives.
I was well aware that this psychopathic coworker who I refused to befriend, was going around lying on me and manipulating truths in order to get everyone to turn against me and they did. This person was successful at create nonsense and starting drama and everyone in that organization was vicious. I mean vicious to the core. I new I had done nothing wrong and while there were times that I felt hurt and pain, I truly believe if you live righteously and walk in integrity that you can stand firm and stay planted wherever you are until God tells you to go.
Anyway, I knew this job situation wasn't permanently for me but I was going to work there until I had the peace of God to leave. Until God told me to go, I wasn't.
As the situation worsened, I was ready for God to come on and say "Go. Flee child. Leave from there. Dust off yo shoes and never look back."
So I went to God in prayer somewhere between the 1.5 to 2 year mark. I said "Jesus, help me. Deliver me from them. Give me the okay to quit. I'm sick of this. I'm sick of them. They're lying, plotting, scheming, harassing me, bothering me at every turn, trying to make me look bad, trying to take me out. I can't do this no mo. I'm ready to go." I immediately heard in my spirit, God reply "Child, if you can't handle these folks where you work at now and will crumble at their nonsense, their scheme, their making you look bad, how will you be able to handle people where I'm taking you. I can not get you where I'm taking you if you breakdown and fall apart at every insult, every hater, every naysayer, every liar, ever schemer, every gossip, every slanderer, every manipulator, every person who ain't for you and every person who comes against you"
That immediately had me like woah. For the first time I realized, God is doing something in me through these haters. I've been praying them away and God has assigned them or at least taking advantage of their presence to help get me to a level that I need to be at for where He is taking me. That's deep.
As a result of their day in and day out nonsense, my skin did thicken. My confidence in God did grow in that I saw that through the plots, the schemes, the lies, the manipulated half truths, the gossip, the slander, the stalking, the harassment, the efforts to get me fired, the quests to have me quit, God did in fact protect and cover me through it all.
After my conversation with God, I gave it another year before I was leaving with or without His permission. It was that bad that I was like "God, I know you trying to develop something in me but this time I gots to go." Thankfully, he gave me the peace and permission to go. Now, I can truly say, I'm less bothered by haters, liars, manipulators, impersonators, plotters, schemers, harassers, but I'm still a work in progress. I have feelings as we all do. Some things hurt especially when they are untrue or surrounding things that I didn't do. But I have the strength and the peace of God to withstand many things. I haven't reached the level of Teflon don quite yet but I'm getting there.
PLAYLIST - Give It To God
"Jesus Can Work It Out" by Dr. Charles G. Hayes And The Cosmopolitan Church Of Prayer Choir
"I Need You" by Smokie Norful
"You Know My Name" by Tasha Cobbs Leonard ft Jimi Cravity
"Lord Do It" by Hezekiah Walker
"He's Working It Out For You" by Pastor Shirley Caesar
"Balm in Gilead" by Karen Clark Sheard
"You're Bigger" by Jekalyn Carr
"Reckless Love" by Bethel Worship - Steffany Gretzinger
"God Did It" by Evelyn Turrentine - Agee
"You're Next In Line For A Miracle" by Pastor Shirley Caesar
"You Will Win" by Jekalyn Carr