2018 Career Resolutions #19 Don't Let Your Job Rule Your Life
- Commit to having a better work life balance
One of the hardest things for most professionals to achieve is work life balance. Here a a few ways that can help you find a work life balance
- Find a job closer to home - If you work far from where you live, let 2018 be the year that you seek and find a job closer to your home. Just consider what else can be done with the time you spend commuting
- Carpool - if you have to work far from where you live try carpooling. Perhaps many personal and professional tasks can be completed during your ride to and from work
- Work remote - if possible try arranging a schedule that allows you to work remote a couple days a week. Working remote can be a great way to distress
- Don't work more than the 40 hours a week - Your company hired you for a standard 40 hours work week. If you can't complete your tasks within that allowed time, a discussion with the management team should happen and a redistribution of tasks should occur. Don't work for free and give them more than 40 hours as an exempt employee. If you are hourly make sure you get paid an overtime rate if your ever required to work more than 40 hours a week
- Say no to staying late or working weekends - its okay to say no to staying late and working on the weekends. People with children have natural excuses so you have to be clever in this regard if you don't
- Attend more of your children events - if your relationship with you children have suffered in 2018 commit to attending more of their events and scheduling more quality 1:1 time
- Find a mate - if your love life has suffered and you are over 30 and single because you work too much and you don't desire to be alone the rest of your life commit to finding a mate
- Stop putting off having kids - if you want kids but haven't had any because your job commitment be selfish and stop putting it off. There is no time like the present to start trying.
Do you struggle to maintain a healthy work life balance? What do you believe to be the root cause? Alternately, do you have a good work life balance? What has helped you be successful in this regard?