Strong enemies are a blessing!!!! Having strong enemies is a blessing?
"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
Nipsey Hussle was a devoted father, good friend, strong family man, provider and protector, king to his queen Lauren, successful entreprenuer, caring employer, and accomplished rapper. Born Ermias Asghedom, Nipsey was a beacon of light to who served as a community activist, leader and developer.
He was a man of God who was wise beyond his years. He had humble beginning in South Central L.A. but through hard work, dedication, faith and ensurance he made it far beyond the world he was born into. He took nothing for granted and looked out for those who were less fortunate. He was a bearer of truth, a man of the people who didn't mind talking the slow grind to victory and success. He saw life as a marathon and not a race. He knew the importance of self validation, self investing and self love.
Like many others who came before him that were beacons of light trying to do good and uplift and educate others Nipsey was no stranger to enemies. He spoke about the challenges of having enemies and jealous people around you in several interviews.
He knew that you can have people close to you, people in your circle who aren't for you, people who will plot against you. There is so much to be learned from the legacy he leaves. May his soul rest in peace, may his family find refuge and comfort in the Lord during these hard times and may his legacy live on forever.
God allowed Nipsey to drop one last great nugget of wisdom on us. His final tweet was "Strong enemies are a blessing!!!!" Many of you have questioned how could that possibly be? How could an enemy be a blessing? Let's explore what an enemy is, how to manage and be in relationship with an enemy, as well as what could possibly make a strong enemy a blessing.
Let's all agree that at some point in this life you will encounter an enemy. Jesus had them, Martin Luther King Jr had them, Ghandi had them, John F Kennedy had them, President Obama has them, Abraham Lincoln had them.
So who or what is an enemy? According to Websters an enemy is one hostile to another, one who hates, and desires or attempts the injury of another. Other dictionaries reference an enemy as an adversary, foe, or hater. Evils. One who attempts to do another injury in order to gratify his own malice or ill will. The devil.
You can have outer and inner enemies. While not the focus of this article, you can be an enemy to yourself - Jas 4.
Let's explore some lesson's learned and words of wisdom concern enemies from those who have come before us.
Quote About Enemies - Words of Wisdom
- "If you don't have enemies you don't have character" - Paul Newman
- "It is the enemy who can truly teach us to practice the virtures of compassion and tolerance" - Dalia Lama
- "An enemy generally says and believes what he wishes" - Thomas Jefferson
- "Love you enemy for they shall tell you all your faults" - Benjamin Franklin. Along with the aforementioned words of Thomas Jefferson and enemy tends to not have any filter which can be good or bad. Be very careful when even listening to an enemy. At times it will be necessary to deliberately tune them out. Don't buy into character assassinations or words of failure or defeat spoken over your life. There are times, when an enemy may call out a flaw or blindspot that you need to know but were never aware of. Other times an enemy may say things that are just hurtful and are said to bring you to a place of sorrow and defeat. Walk a very thin line here. Be prayful and ask God for wisdom and for rebuke.
Quote About Enemies - Words of Wisdom (continued)
- "Everyone needs a warm enemy or two to keep him from rust in the moveable parts of his mind." - Gene Fowler. Stay alert. Stay woke. Stay on your toes. Don't be lackadaisical. Keep your goals in mind. Don't give up on yourself. Keep God first. Work in your calling. Work towards your destiny.
- "An enemy despised is the most dangerous of all" - Publius Syrus. Don't despise your enemy. Don't get infected with his or her poisin. Don't become emotionally involved. Be alert, yet emotionally, physically, spiritually, mentally detached and uninvolved. Don't respond to hate with hate. Don't despise those who despise you. Conquer all the negativity with Love.
- "I bring out the worst in my enemies and that's how I get them to defeat themselves." - Roy Mconn. Just be still. A sword swinging fighter in battle with himself will eventually fall to his own sword. Don't join the fight. Exo 14:14
- "You can discover what your enemy fears the most by observing the means he uses to frighten you" - Eric Hoffer
How do enemies bless us?
Blessed are those who are persecuted for rigtheousness sake Mat 5. We rejoice in our sufferings knowing that sufferings produces endurance and endurance produces character and character produces hope and hope does not put us to shame. Romans 5:
What are the benefits of having enemies? How are enemies a strong blessing?
- Enemies challenge you to do better, be stronger, fight harder, to achieve your goals
- Enemies make you alert - Knowing your opposition exists is half the battle
- Enemies cause you to be aware of yourself, the culture in which you live and the environment in which you work
- Enemies force you to become more effective. Enemies will try and tear you down and sabatoge everything you try to achieve. You will just become more effective in acheiving your goals as a result.
- Enemies expose your weaknesses. Know that your strength comes from the Lord. His strength is made perfect in your weakness. Let them haters expose on!!! The more exposure the stronger the Lord will make you.
- Enemies make you appreciate the small things in life. They keep you from taking things for granted
- Enemies challenge you to love. Love is the greatest commandment of all. It interwoven glue that puts all the puzzle pieces together. One of the toughest things to do is to love your enemy but it is the will of the Lord. Ask Him to help you to have a heart for your enemies.
- Enemies promote you. Enemies are our biggest promoters. Just carelessly fly. Continue to soar.
- Enemies motivate you. Haters are your motivators. Stay on the high road.
- Enemies bring you to the forefront of mind to people who would have not even know you existed otherwise. People like Joel Osteen and John Gray would easily live in obscurity if it weren't for their enemies. They may not have reached the level of world renowed authors and inspiration speakers if it weren't for their critics talking them up. God can and will use your enemies to push you to your destiny. Joel and John's enemies through their slanderous attackes promoted them into greater positions of recognition and influence.
- Enemies are teachers of life lessons that we must learn in order to become closer to achieving or earthly goals and destinies
- Enemies failed attacks validate that you are unbreakable
- Enemies lies prove that you may at times get rattled but are unshakeable
- Enemies help you build your legacy
- Enemies push you closer to God. No shame or condemnation here, but sometimes people only pray when there are going through something. In good times and bad, make it a habit of being in relationship with God.
- Enemies increase your favor. What your enemy may see as harmful is actually beneficial. You are getting increased favor. You are being put in positions of increase favor. - Gen 50:20
- Enemies sharpen your skills. Be wise as a serpent and as gentle as a dove. "A smooth sea never skilled a sailor" - unknown. A little or lotta opposition from an enemy will make you sharper, wiser, stronger, more skilled and a better person. Don't cower in the face of an enemy. Don't run and hide from a little turmoil, some strong winds, and rough tides. God will protect you from the water and the flood. You're figuratively moving through lifes storms and attacks of the enemy in Noah's ark. You will make it to the other side.
- Enemies will increase your network and your networh. Your petty, pathetic enemy will talk you up to every and anybody that will listen. There will be those who are just as jealous and envious who will take up position with your enemy against you but there will also be those that they are talking you up to who will have curiousity, intrigue, insight, favor, justice, wisdom, power, grace, love, kindness, mercy, who will be for you and not against you, who will push you to new levels and help get you to your destiny. Stand in your truth. Stand in your peace. Stand in your favor. Put on the helmet of salvation and breastplate of righteousness and know that no weapon formed against you or word spoken against you will prosper. God has you covered and will use your enemy to help you soar to levels you never even imagined possible. No matter how bleak a situation looks, nor how vicious your enemies attacks have become, you are positioned to achieve your God given destiny.
How To Respond to enemies
- Be aware of them 1 Pet 5:8
- Be aware of their motives
- Be aware of their plots. Old wisdom says "if you dig a ditch for one you might as well dig a ditch for two. The hole you dug for me will be the one that will be used to bury you." Let them plot all day long and stay in peace.
- Be prepared. Know that you will have enemies and those speaking unfavorably on you. - Jon 16:33, Luk 6:26, Mat 10, 2 Tim 3:12
- Don't be afraid 2 Tim 1:7
How To Respond to enemies (continued)
- Protect yourself without directly responding to them. Renew your mind and guard your heart
- Excluding covering them with love, try and stay emotionally and mentally detached from them and their actions. As an initial response or outcry, its okay to be angry but sin not. Don't linger in your feelings.
- Don't fester in defeat. Don't allow yourself to become hateful, bitter, jaded or unforgiving. Feel free to pray to God for help with your emotions.
- "Let no man pull you so low as to hate him"- MLK (Martin Luther King Jr.)
- Where possible stay physically distant from your enemy. Of course this is less possible when its a coworker, boss or other person that you work with
How To Respond to enemies (continued)
- Don't worry when people "succeed" in their evil ways. What may look like a "victory" may really be no victory at all. Life is war with many battles. You may not win every battle but get back up and fight again. Nipsey knew this principle that it takes time, patience, failure, defeats in order to win overall. He had a "Marathon" philosphy. Don't fret. Don't give up. Don't get defeated. Stay prayed up. - Psa 37
- Don't take revenge against them, allow room for God's wrath. Vengeance is not yours. Rom 12:9, Deu 3:22.
- Don't be happy or rejoice when your enemy has been taken dowm, destroyed, defeated. Do not gloat over him or her. - Pro 24, Mic 7:8. "There may come a time when it will be possible for you to humiliate your worst enemy or even to defeat him, but in order to love the enemy you must not do it." - MLK
- Take refuge in the Lord. God is a refuge and a fortresss. He will protect you from the attacks of the enemy. Psa 91:1-2, Rom 8, 1 Jon 4:4, Nah 1:7, Psa 18:12, Jos 1:9
- Remember that God will protect you, he will prosper you Jer 29:11
- Have unwavering faith in the Lord. Know that you know that you know that what you enemy intended to use to harm you that God will use to prosper you - Gen 50:20
Know that in this world you will have enemies but God is greater than any enemy you will ever face. Enemies can exist in all areas of your life. Working in Corporate America you will undoubtedly face a few. But fear not. Be of good character and of strong cheer. Know that your eternal destiny is heaven. Don't fear, don't cower, don't tremble, don't shrink back, don't get depressed, don't act oppressed, don't act defeated, don't walk around depleted, don't get demotivated, don't live in condemnation, don't have any sense of shame, don't live in regret. Don't hate!. "Hate distorts the personality of the hater." Love your enemies. Have agape love which is overflowing and seeks nothing in return. When you have agape love "you loave all men, not because you like them, not because their ways appeal to you, not because they are worthful to you, but you loave all men because God loves them. And you rise to the noble height of loving the person who does the evil deed while hating the deed that the person does."- MLK