How To Respond To Peace Stealers At Work?
How Can You Be at Peace in Your Office With So Many Peace Stealers?
Can You Refuse To Give Away Your Peace While At Your Job?
Recognize, Acknowledge and Combat the Peace Stealers In Your Professional Life
So how should you respond to peace stealers at work? Is it even possible to have peace in your office?
Having peace is not dependent on where you work, your work environment, your boss, your employees or your coworkers. No matter how pleasant or toxic the work environment is or how wonderful or dreadful your coworkers may be, you have the power to stay in peace. You have a choice to have peace of mind throughout your work day regardless of what is going on around you. Please recognize and receive that.
You may be thinking, "You don't know my work environment. It is down right toxic. I don't see how I can have peace there."
If you a thinking "It is hard to maintain peace when you are in a less than pleasant work environment." Well, of course it is. Nothing in life comes easy. But it's definitely doable. It takes time and practice. It may take a lot of time, conscious effort and practice. Most people shouldn't expect instantaneous results. But know, you can have and maintain peace on your job. First, you must recognize what peace stealers are disrupting your office, then acknowledge that the peace stealers exists regardless of what you do and finally obey the relevant scriptures or Bible verses to combat and overcome the peace stealers. Stand on Eph 6.
Remember in all things and at all times, Pray. Read through and reflect on the following combat tools for various peace stealers, mediate on The Word, ask God for wisdom on how to practically apply the Word and reclaim your peace at work throughout the day. Let's go through the peace stealers 1 by 1.
Responding to Peace Stealers At Work (Recognize, Acknowledge and Combat Peace Stealers)
- Anger Is A Peace Stealer:
Everyone experiences the feeling of anger every now and then but do not be easily provoked and forgive quickly. Don't let the sun go down with you having anger and being angry. Pray for the ability to release all anger and let it go before going to sleep. Don't give into or act out your anger. Ecc 7:9, Eph 4:26
- Confusion Is A Peace Stealer:
Where there is confusion there is no peace. Try to gain understanding and knowledge and overcome any confusion. 1 Cor 14:33, Pro 2:6, Jas 1:5
- Disappointments Are Peace Stealers:
Everything is not going to go you way all the time. No one is perfect and everyone will experience a disappointment or two. Don't let a temporary disappointing setback defeat you. Mourn the situation, pray over it and then move on. Don't let a disappointing event steal your peace. Psa 30:5, Jer 29:11
- Dissension and Discord Are Peace Stealers:
Don't be a willing participant in or instigator of a bunch of nonsense. There is no need for dissension and discord in the workplace. As far as it depends on you, you need to be at peace with everyone. As a manager you have the power to bring peace within your team. Please stop contributing to and encouraging discension and discord amongst your staff. Mat 5:9, Heb 12:14, Rom 12:18
- Envy Is A Peace Stealer:
- God made you who you are. God has given you everything you need to have in accordance with what you can bear. Don't not covet your neighbor. Do not be envious or jealous of your coworker. Stop being jealous of your employees or boss and support a team environment. Be a team player and honor the role you have been given. Be grateful for who you are. Practice love. Remember that love does not envy. An envious heart and mind CANNOT be at peace. Be zealous for the Lord. Pro 14:30, Job 5:2, Jas 3, Pro 23:17-18
- If you are the victim of jealous attacks and envious colleagues, fret not. Be still and give them to God. Build them up and stay in peace. Psa 37, Rom 15:2
- Fear Is A Peace Stealer:
Remember and believe that God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind. There is nothing to be afraid of. You can do all things through Christ. Just try and try again. 2 Tim 1:7, Phil 4:13, Lev 26:6, Rom 16:20
- Fear of Failure or Inability to Rebound from Failure Is A Peace Stealer:
Everybody fails. It's part of life. Just don't stop trying. Learn from you mistakes and keep trying. The righteous fall 7 times and get back up again. Nothing beats a fail but a try. Pro 24:16, Psa 73:26
- Fighting/ Quarreling Are Peace Stealers:
There is nothing professional about fighting and quarreling at work. Regardless of how much your colleagues may try to pull you out of character or bait you into conflict don't fall for the okie doke. Walk away. Don't listen to Dr Dre everybody deserves to have the sense of taste. Take the high road and don't get caught in the traps they set. It's hard to not fight back but the peace that comes with avoiding conflict is worth it. Realize when set ups occur. Don't be naive, realize that set ups do occur. Realize that there are people who want you to be just as miserable as they are and would like for nothing more than to have you fight them, argue with them, get loud and cuss them out and end up jobless. Listen very carefully "Don't give into the nonsense!" You are better and stronger than the foolishness. Pro 20:3, Exo 14:14, Pro 17:3
- Gossip Is A Peace Stealer:
- Seek to build others up and not to tear them down. Stop gossiping. Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies. Do not spread half truths or outright lies. Stop causing strife and dissension with your rumors and words of gossip. Do your job and stop being a busy body. Do not slander. What are you gaining from that? If you don't gossip, stay away from those who do. If you are a gossip ask God to forgive you for your wicked ways and if you encounter gossips, disengage and pray for gossips to be relieved from that sin nature. Jas 4:11, 1 Pet 3:10, Pro 11:9, Pro 20:19, 1 Tim 5:13-14, Rom 1:29-32, Eph 4:29
- If you are a victim of gossip, slander and or rumors please fret not. Your reputation is in the hands of the Lord. The people who are part of your life's purpose and God ordained destiny within you career or personal life will not be affected by the slander, rumors or lies. Don't fight back, disengage, continue to focus on your work and stay in peace. Exo 14:14
- Guilt (Inability to move past mistake or regret) Is A Peace Stealer:
If you have made a mistake admit it, accept the associated consequences, repent and move on. Don't allow yourself to walk around condemned at work. Don't allow others to use your testimonies against you. If God brought you through it that is a reason to celebrate, share the good news and never be ashamed of anything you have done or experienced. Don't let your coworkers try to shame you for anything. Stand in your truth. Stand in your experiences. Stand and be proud of all you've gone through in this life. Good, back, ugly, horrible or sad. Everything that you have experienced in this life will work together for your good if you love the Lord and walk according to his purpose. Each time you are reminded of an experience just look up to Heaven and thank God for his deliverance, mercy and saving grace. Your testimonies are your shining glory. Jon 3:15, 1 Jon 1:9, Rom 8:28
- Haters and Hateful People Are Peace Stealers:
Pay your haters no mind. Don't let your heart be troubled behind the nonsense they say and do. Ignore them. What your haters think about you is none of your business. Stop making it your business. Don't blink an eye in response to their nonsense. Let them go. Let it go. If you wasn't so amazing they wouldn't keep your name in their mouth. Like Queen Bey, Beyonce herself said "You know you that" girl "when you cause all that conversation" Rom 12:17-21, 1 Pet 3:9-11, Jon 14:27
- Hopelessness Is A Peace Stealer:
Please know that change is coming. You can make it. Work life is hard but just hold on. There is more in store for you in your career, season of unemployment or retirement. Don't give up. God had plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Whatever you've been praying for, stand on the word, be in agreement with His will and know change its coming. Take your hope back and stay in peace.
Que "Hold On" by Sounds of Blackness and read Jer 29:11
- Ignorance Is A Peace Stealer:
Always be kind and gentle. Take the high road in responding to ignorance. Don't let ignorant coworkers or contemptous situations steal your peace. 1 Pet 2:15, 2 Cor 2:11, Heb 5:2
- Impatience (Failure to Follow God's Timeline) Is A Peace Stealer:
Patience is a virtue. Trust God's timing. Stop trying to make things happen on you own timeline. Stop self sabotaging. You will miss God's blessings. Be patient. Stay in peace. Eph 3
- Lack of Focus Is A Peace Stealer:
Your focus while at work should be doing your job and completing the tasks that you have been assigned. If you are focused on anything other than doing your job you need to renew your mind and get back on track. Stop losing focus which is causing you to loose your peace. 2 Tim 2:22, 1 Cor 14:33, Eph 4:23
- Obessions Are Peace Stealer:
- You're so obsessed you can't think straight. You are obsessing over your job when you're not even there. Leave your job at work. Stop taking that stress home. - Or maybe you have become so obsessed with your coworker or employee that you're not only watching their every move at work and cyberstalking him or her, you've crossed the criminal line and have started harrasing him or her outside of work, hacking into his or her personal accounts and electronic devices, tapping his or her personal calls, following him or her home, trespassing own their property, peaking through windows, entering into their car without permission, taking their things, planting devices. Don't try to rationalize your actions, there is not justification. There is nothing normal about being a stalker. You've turned into Jennifer Lason Leigh's character in that movie she did with Bridget Fonda. Its not possible to find peace, joy, happiness or genuine friendships on the road that you are traveling. But Beloved, its not too late to get help. Get counseling. Find a support group. Throughout it all God still loves you. Mark 7:20-23, Col 3:5, Jas 1, 1 Cor 13, Jon 8:44 - If someone is obsessed with you and stalking you inside and outside of work just know its nothing but a distraction from the enemy. Stay in peace and keep your mind stayed on your job. 1 Pet 5:8-9, Eph 4:27
- Seeking Revenge Is A Peace Stealer:
Remember than scene from "The Color Purple" with Celie, Sofia, Shug and Mister where Celie was like "I curse you. Until you do right by me everything you think about is gonna crumble!"
"Until you do right by me, everything you even think about gonna fail!"
"The jail you planned for me is the one you gonna rot in!"
"Everything you done to me, you already under, you." - Have you ever felt like Celie? If someone is mistreating you at work, report it to HR, your boss and give it to God. Do not seek revenge. - If you have a vengeful heart and mind, please stop it. You can not have peace when you are vengeful. Many of you are in one sided wars. The person you are seeking revenge against doesn't even recognize your existence. They don't even speak to you. They walk right by you like they can't see you. He or she can care less if you are alive or dead and you are spending your time plotting against that person. Why? What are your motives? You will never have peace at work or in live in general if you continue down the path that you are on. You are better than what you have been doing. You can be happy. Don't give into having a miserable existence. Give the situation to God, release your anger, forgive those you are seeking vengeance against and move on. No matter how much you amass, you'll continue to be miserable and won't have peace until you do. Pro 26:27, Rom 12:19 - If someone is vengeful towards you, don't worry about it. It is not your battle to fight. Just let it go and keep moving forward. Exo 14:14, Deu 32:35
- Selfishness Is A Peace Stealer:
You can't be selfish and have peace. You have to love your coworkers no matter how you feel about them or how they've treated you. You have to help them. You can not only be concerned about yourself. You have to take care of others. You can't be selfish and have peace. Always be a team player and keep the best interest of the company in mind. Phi 2:3, 1 Cor 10:24, Acts 20;24
- Spiritual Attacks Are Peace Stealers:
Que "This is How I Fight My Battles" by Micheal W. Smith and read Eph 6, Psa 55:18, 1 Jon 3:8
- Stress and Anxiety Are Peace Stealers:
You are too blessed to be stressed. Take on the dare and go ahead and count your blessings. You are indeed blessed. Renew your mind. Take a yoga class or get a massage and relax. Release. Regroup. Rom 8:6, Phi 4:6-7, 1 Pet 5:7
- Unforgiveness Is A Peace Stealer:
You can't hold grudges and have peace. Unforgiveness will rob you of your God given peace each and every time. Unforgiveness is poison to the mind, body and soul. You have to forgive those at your job who have wronged you even if they aren't sorry. They may never apologize but you have to forgive them anyway. Let it go and flourish and grow Luk 6:37, Eph 1:7, 1 Joh 1:9, Col 3:13
- Ungodly Associations Are Peace Stealers:
Examine the company that you keep. Is your day at the office filled with drama, gossip, and nonsense. If all your time spent with others is discussing and plotting the downfall of a third party you are not friends you are allianced haters. Free yourself from the nonsense. Make better choices. Be careful who you spend your time with. The ones you are around may be stealing your peace and blocking your blessings. Let them go and go get your blessings and reclaim your peace. Pro 24:1-2, 2 Cor 6:14, Psa 1:1
- Ungratefulness Is A Peace Stealer:
If you think you're unhappy now how would you feel if God took it all away. Life can change in the blink of an eye. It happened to Job. Gratitude and Praise are better attitudes to have. Stay in peace. Everything has a season. Be grateful in good times and in bad times. Be grateful with much and with nothing. Don't let an ungrateful heart rob you of your peace. Count your blessings. Be thankful. Be grateful. Col 3:15, 1 The 5:16-18, Eph 5:20, Phi 4:11-13, 1 Tim 6:6-8
- Unnecessary Distractions Are Peace Stealers:
- What is distracting you at work? Are you spending inordinate amounts of time searching the web or lollygagging with coworkers. Get back to work and stop giving into unnecessary distractions. Stop distracting others. - Drama Mongers or those who insist on inciting drama with or surrounding you in order to gain attention or distract attention from them should be ignored. Ignore them and stay in peace. Rom 12:2, Pro 4:25
- Wicked Behavior Is A Peace Stealer:
There is no peace for the wicked. Don't be wicked. Don't associate with wicked colleagues. Repent from your wicked ways. Isa 48:22, Jer 31:34
- Worry Is A Peace Stealer:
Pray and cast all your cares upon the Lord. You can not add another second to your life through worrying. Each time you are tempted to worry, remember the last dilemna you had and how it was inevitably resolved with means beyond and or unrelated to you worrying. Work hard but don't worry. Que "Dont worry be happy" by Bobby McFerrin and read Mat 6:25-34, 1 Pet 5:7, Phi 4:6-7
If this has helped you, feel free to bookmark and save. Reread as much as necessary. Don't allow peace stealers to take your peace away. Stay prayed up and hold onto to your peace throughout your workday. It's the only way.